Friday, November 9, 2012

WHY I LOVE FIGHT CLUB

Yah, this might be like 13 years late, but I've finally entered the realm of Fight Club worshippers. Not only is this movie pumped up unrealistic super buff "average" guys, it's got Helena Bonham Carter, who always plays the creepy or dark rules, that make me like her much more than most pouty sexualized actresses. The woman has balls.

This movie takes me back to high school. I wish I could say it was because I took a lot of bitches down, but I was way too separated from drama to have any reason. Although there are some people who's high level stupidity or volume of infatuation made me angry to punch some bits, but I digress. In retrospect, I think a lot of guys at my school must have watched Fight Club together because there was a time where they would just get together and .... fight. Only two at a time no one not in Fight Club could see or know of its whereabouts, but I heard guys talking about their fights all the time.

Coincidentally, as the level of fights at school among the boys went down, the girl fights went up.  Sadly enough, fighting over boys.

Why did I finally decide to take in this piece of art? Well, to be honest, my pop culture office had the book and the movie as a couple of the works we had to watch. The book and the movie are filled with social implications. The obvious revolt of the working class against the upper class; the desire to revert society to a primitive state; the struggle for masculinity. Even the fact that the main character has a dissociative identity disorder is severe dig at the hypnotic effects of a middle-income wage office job. Addicted to IKEA and seeking an emotional experience from support groups, this character has been numbed by his standard insignificant life. Tyler represents and escape from the nauseating normalcy of his life and the search for individuality.

Only when he separates from his possessions and mundane life can he really be free to do whatever. Because when you have nothing to lose you have everything to gain.